A basic and easy vanilla cupcake recipe topped with a white chocolate buttercream icing, which together make the perfect combination. I’ve also decorated the cupcakes in Christmassy sprinkles and paper! Perfect for those who don’t enjoy all of the cinnamon, gingerbread and winter spiced flavoured cakes at this time of year. And of course, these can be made any time throughout the year!
- 175g or 3/4 cups of butter softened
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 175g (6 oz) caster sugar
- 175g or 1 1/4 cup of self-raising flour
- 110g or 1/2 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 250g or 1 3/4 cups of icing sugar
- 150g white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of semi skimmed milk (possibly)
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3 and prepare your cupcake cases.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixer and whizz up until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the vanilla essence and add the eggs – whizz again to make a yellow batter.
- Add the flour and mix until it is smooth, about 5/10 minutes. Stop once in the middle of this and scrape the sides down using a spatula. The longer mixing time enables air to get into the mixture which will make it lighter. Pour into fairy or cupcake cases.
- Bake for about 14 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They will be perfect when they bounce back to the touch and the top still looks slightly sticky. This will ensure they keep their moisture.
- Leave on a cooling rack for 30 minutes or until cool, then decorate as you wish.
- Beat the butter and half the icing sugar together until smooth (this may take a while and is a bit of a pain). Keep adding the icing sugar in bits and mix until all is smooth and like a paste.
- Melt the white chocolate and then add it to the mixture and mix until smooth.
- DONE! However, this is the maybe bit . . . depending on what white chocolate you use, it’ll alter the runniness of your icing . . . so you may have to add the milk (maybe more than 1 tablespoon) or you may need to add more icing sugar.
- Don’t forget to mix your icing between icing each cupcake so it stays smooth!
You can then decorate your cupcakes as you wish – I have added Christmas sprinkles and cases!
I hope you enjoy!