Today’s baking creation is a minty chocolate cupcake which incorporates mint Oreos. These cupcakes are super yummy but also look perfect for Halloween due to the green and dark brown contrast. The mint Oreos aren’t a crucial ingredient to this recipe so therefore if you don’t have any don’t worry, you can still create the mint chocolate cupcakes!
For the Cupcakes:
- 50g butter
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- splash of peppermint extract (this is instead of vanilla extract that you’d normally use)
- 60g cocoa powder
- 100g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- 160ml milk
After making the cupcakes, I decided to decorate mine half with chocolate fudge icing and half with green icing, if you want to decorate yours with just one of the following options all you need to do is double to amount of ingredients listed below and leave out the icing that you don’t want.
For the Chocolate Fudge Icing:
- 125g salted butter, softened
- 140g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 100g dark chocolate
For the Green Icing:
- 140g icing sugar
- a few drops of peppermint extract until it’s at your desired taste
- a splash of green food colouring
- water (enough to make the mixture to your desired texture)
1) Preheat the oven to 180oC / 350oF / GM4. Line the cupcake tray with 12 paper cases.
2) For the cupcakes, in a bowl cream together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract, then fold in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and milk chocolate chips and add the milk to form a smooth batter.
3) Bake for around 15-20 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
4) For the fudge icing: Combine the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir the chocolate through the icing mixture. Once the cupcakes have cooled, using a piping bag or spoon, pipe the icing on top of the cupcake.
4) For the green icing: Mix together the icing sugar, peppermint extract and green food colouring in a bowl – gradually add in some water until the icing is at your desired texture.
5) If you have some mint Oreos, now you can place these on the top! If not, you can decorate the cupcakes further as you wish.