Apologies for my lack of writing this past week, my life suddenly got super busy with Christmas activities! But now I’m back, with a super Christmassy recipe: Gingerbread Cupcakes. Can I just say that Zoe (Sugg) and I must be on the same wave length when it comes to Christmas baking ideas, haha. I’m going to stop saying ‘Christmas’ now and get into the post!…
- 150g or 2/3 cups butter
- 150g or 2/3 cups soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g or 2/3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Half tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (doesn’t necessarily have to be fresh)
- 1 tbsp milk
What I like about this recipe is that it doesn’t contain treacle or molasses because not everyone has these to spare in their kitchen cupboard.
1) Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas 4.
2) Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3) In one separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and in another sift together the flour and spices.
4) Gradually mix the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar alternating with the flour to stop the mix from curdling. Finally, stir through the milk.
5) Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them.
6) Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
7) For the frosting: while the cupcakes are cooking place 50 grams of the butter in a pan with the brown sugar and cook over a low heat until melted. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk and stir to form a thick glossy toffee sauce. Leave to one side to cool to room temperature.
8) In a large mixing bowl beat the butter until smooth, then start to sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly. Add the toffee sauce and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Add a splash more of milk if the mixture seems too thick – the frosting should be light and creamy.
9) 8. Put the frosting in a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
10) I have personally decorated my cupcakes with these sprinkles from ASDA and mini gingerbread men from Sainsbury’s! They look so sweet!