Guess who’s backkkkkk! My exams are over finally which means I can take more time to work on my Blog and also start working on my YouTube channel > HERE
This recipe is one of my absolute favourites, and if you choose to make this I hope you love it as much as myself!
You Will Need:
- Loaf cake tin (Approx. 24cm X 14cm)
- (plus everything else you need to make a cake such as weighing scales, a mixer and a spoon!)
- 4oz or 115g or 1/2 cup = butter
- 6oz or 170g or 3/4 cup = caster sugar
- 2 eggs egg
- 6oz or 170g or 3/4 cup = self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 lemon
- 4 rounded tablespoons of icing sugar
Directions (for the cake mixture)
- Pre-heat your oven to 170c or 338f and line your loaf tin with some sort of greaseproof paper
- Add the butter and sugar into the mixing bowl, and mix together until white and creamy.
- Grate the rind off the lemon into a separate small bowl; and whisk together with the milk and egg.
- Add this mixture a little bit at a time to the already creamed butter and sugar.
- Next, sift the self-raising flour into the bowl and fold it into the mixture. Make sure you have no lumps of flour in the mixture – though the mixture will not be completely smooth due to the lemon rind!
- Pour the mixture into the tin, and bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes.
Directions (for the syrup)
- When the cake mixture is baking, take the juice of the lemon and put it into a saucepan – then add the icing sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil until it thickens slightly. Leave to cool, and it should become syrupy. (The syrup mixture won’t be completely gooey until the cake has cooled in a few hours)
- While the cake is hot prick it all over with something like a fork & pour the syrup mixture over the top.
- Dust with icing sugar!
Most of the time I like to double the mixture and make 2 loafs, this is because it gets eaten really quickly! One can always be frozen and defrosted in the future.
I really hope you love this recipe as much as me!